The year was 1888. The commission, a baronial town house in the era’s newly emerging Craftsman style. Respected architectural firm Thom & Wilson, renowned for the Harlem Courthouse and fanciful Moorish-styled Hampton Apartments in Greenwich Village, were more than up to the task. Master-minding a six-story limestone showpiece with a coffered stairwell of intricate lattice, carvings, and stained-glass windows—which all remain cherished highlights—they created a connoisseur’s jewel. Today, after a 1912 French-inspired renovation by Hiss & Weeks and the infusion of recent modern luxuries, the legendary haven glows with even more lustre, its splendorous 12,400 square feet with ten vintage firesides evoking a bygone age of New York romance.