An album filled with memories, the distinguished Laurens-Rutledge House is a vintage American treasure. Built in 1760 by James Laurens, the Georgian double house subsequently became the home of Edward Rutledge, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and later governor. In 1880 the beloved mansion was restyled with the Victorian spirit of the day by Captain Wagener. Restored in 1999, its grand formal spaces radiantly reflect their rich 18th- and 19th-century heritage. A crescent staircase, Irish crystal chandeliers, nine antique fireplaces, and heart-pine floors cast a congenial glow. Climaxing the charm, steps from the main house, a kitchen house gazes out on a garden statue embraced by arches covered with wisteria.