In 1803 George Carter built a plantation in Leesburg. It continued in the Carter family through much of the nineteenth century. Following the Civil War, it fell on hard times, remaining unoccupied until its purchase in 1903 by a descendant of William Corcoran, after whom the Corcoran Gallery of Art is named. The owner, an avid horseman, possessed many famous hunters, and Oatlands became his equestrian base. Over time the property was divided. Oatlands Hamlet captures the historic ambience on 54 prized acres contiguous to Oatlands Plantation estate, protected by National Trust ownership. Crowning the property are a six-bedroom main house with swimming pool, a three-bedroom stone guesthouse, and a three-bedroom ranch house. From its serene pond to its Olin Dows mural fancifully depicting the plantation, Oatlands Hamlet treats all who come to the charms of a bygone era.